Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rachel Roth

You may not know this about me, but I've seen the majority of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's movies. Some I've seen multiple times. It started because somebody gave my brother a copy of Passport to Paris that they didn't want, and then he got really into the Olsen twins, mostly as a joke but possibly also because they spoke to his adolescent romantic interests (but probably just as a joke) and so for his birthday one year I got him a whole box of used Olsen twins movies and we watched them together. I think the willingness to watch unmitigated straight-to-video stuff like this is something that only people will get if they grew up in houses with no cable and not being allowed to watch PG-13 movies. Or maybe I'm just a seriously weird person who is willing to watch Olsen twins movies. My brother and I also discussed creating various revisions of Passport To Paris, my favorite being Jihad to Jerusalem, but that's not a very nice joke.

Sometimes when I'm feeling stressed I like to watch simple movies that won't suck up a lot of emotional/intellectual energy for me to enjoy. It's sort of a bad habit, because I'm still never seen Seven Samurai but I've watched Casper like a hundred fucking times. A few weeks ago, I had a night where I wanted something brainless and lighthearted, and I'd previously found a box in the closet that had all the old Olsen twins movies in it. I chose Winning London, which is one they made when they were teenagers. The film co-stars a woman named Rachel Roth. It's a confused and poorly edited movie, where a simple plot is stretched out by tired gimmicks and dull montages. As such, Rachel Roth's character is as one-dimensional as it gets. She wasn't even given a superficial character quirk to hobble her through the film, and the movie even goes to describer her as 'just a typical high school girl' (I paraphrase).

But she had a certain likeable quality on the screen that made me interested in her. As an actor, she hasn't done much else. She was in a series called Titus that I don't know anything about, and that's almost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment