Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ashley Dollar Tree

I think I should start hanging out at the Dollar Tree more often, or perhaps even get a job at one. The reason I say this is based on two things I noticed today when I was getting windmill cookies (The Dollar Tree is the only place I know of that has vegan windmill cookies).

1. Typically, the only people at the Dollar Tree are elderly.
2. Typically, the people who work at the Dollar Tree are really cute girls.

The first observation isn't very surprising. Old people usually aren't working the nine to five, and they love to make a penny scream. The second observation, however, baffles me. Ostensibly, there's no feature of being a cute girl that would lend itself to working at the Dollar Tree. It's not like coffee shops.

Anyway, a clerk named Ashley and I had a flirty exchange today as I was getting two packages of cookies. Ashley noticed a couple of bills on the ground behind an older woman, she chased down the woman, and asked her if she'd dropped the bills. The elderly woman accepted the bills in a way that seemed sort of sly and shady. When Ashley got back to the register, the conversation went as follows:

Ashley: I don't think that was her money.
Chuck: She's old. She can get away with it.
Ashley: (laughs) Well, if I kept it I'd get fired, so I might as well give it to someone. I should have given it to you. Your total is two dollars anyway.

And the conversation went on from there. I enjoyed myself immensely. Have you ever noticed that there's a lot of cute redheads named 'Ashley' out there? I don't know how this name/hair combo could have been orchestrated, but I'm for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment